What is really happening in Australian grocery stores? TorchMedia teamed up with research specialists Directional Insights to find out exactly what the Australian shopper is doing in-store, and what is impacting on their decision making.
- Most grocery buyers use a shopping list, however they record items not brands
- Main grocery buyers, on the whole, make one or two top-up shopping trips each week – Australians are making more trips to the supermarket than previously thought!
- Awareness of in-store marketing activity is high
- Specials and promotions are increasingly influential
- When prompted on the impact of television advertising, the vast majority of shoppers said it had little or no impact on their purchase decisions
So what does this mean for marketers and brand managers? The research definitively shows that now is the time to invest in in-store marketing, to communicate with shoppers while they are in-store to influence their purchase decisions and to stand out from the competition. However, care is needed! While specials are highly influential, brands need to avoid falling into the trap of over-discounting. In-store advertising can play an important role by adding value. Think: recipe cards, nutritional information, usage suggestions, samples and other forms of advertising that inform, inspire and add value.
For more detailed information about the TorchMedia / Directional Insights research findings, please ask one of our sales representatives.
- Stock up shop: This is the big one, when the trolley is piled to overflowing
- Top up shop: done in between stock up shops, usually for “dinner tonight” and essentials like bread and milk, usually 2 – 4 times per week
- Destination shop / emergency shop: there’s an item I need to buy now!
- Browsing: time spent in malls and department stores
- Treat / Reward: buying something for me or someone else, sometimes as a reward for hard shopping “work”, often an indulgent purchase
- Gifting: taking the time to find the right present for someone else, getting advice if needed
- On the way shop: services that shoppers can acess such as ATMs, petrol
We spoke to grocery shoppers about their shopping habits and their attitudes towards in-store advertising. Click on the video to see what they had to say.